In 1987 representatives from 24 countries met in Montreal and announced to the world that it was time to stop destroying the ozone layer. In so doing, these countries committed themselves, via the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, to remove the substances that threaten the ozone layer.
On December 19, 1994, the UN General Assembly proclaimed September 16 to be the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, commemorating the date when the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer was signed in 1987. The day was first celebrated on September 16, 1995.
The theme for this year’s celebration is “Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On”. The Montreal Protocol has been successful in meeting some of its targets on phasing out ozone-depleting substances which is expected to recover around the middle of this century. The ozone layer is still 6 percent thinner than in 1980, with signs of recovery by the middle of this century. This is the first time that scientists have observed recovery signs in the ozone layer.
Innovative Financial Advisors Pvt. Ltd. believes that every individual has the responsibility and the ability to change the world for better. The day is celebrated globally to commemorate an opportunity to focus attention and action at the global, regional and national levels on the protection of the ozone layer. Innovative Financial Advisors Pvt. Ltd. understands it is a great way to focus on making efforts at eliminating the production and use of ozone-depleting substances, including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), used as industrial refrigerants and in aerosols, and the pesticide methyl bromide. It is a start and efforts towards protecting the ozone are underway, however, there is still a long way to go before we can witness some significant impact.
CAN YOU HELP THE OZONE LAYER?
- Buy products (aerosol spray cans, refrigerators, fire extinguishers, etc.) that are labeled “ozone friendly” or “CFC free”
- Dispose of old refrigerators and appliances responsibly. CFC and HCFC refrigerants should be removed from an appliance before it is discarded.
- If you use methyl bromide for soil fumigation, consider switching to effective and safe alternatives that
are currently being used in many countries to replace this ozone damaging pesticide.
- Help your company identify which existing equipment e.g. water coolers, air conditioners, cleaning solvents, fire extinguishers.
- Teach students about the damaging impact of ozone depleting substances on the atmosphere, the health impacts, and what steps are being taken internationally and nationally to solve this problem.
Media Team – Innovative Financial Advisors Pvt. Ltd.